Thread: BMW M3 CSL
View Single Post
# 71 28-02-2006 , 05:30 AM
Sure. The entire model is surrounded by a huge nurbs sphere that has a circular ramp texture applied going from brilliant white (HSV 0,0,9) through blue/grey to a warm blue color. This sphere has the primary visibility turned off, and is responsible for the reflections. Adjust the ramp to your needs. The ground plane has a circular ramp also to fake the spotlight effect on the car fading into darkness. There are two Mental Ray area lights in the scene. The first is light linked to the tires so I can adjust their specularity individually, and the second is set up for ray traced shadows (which I didn't render in the last image).

The image is rendered with Mental Ray with 1000 final gather rays and slightly blurred reflections.

The whole image revolves around the placement of the ramp on the environment sphere, and the type of texture used. Mess around with some different textures to come up with some interesting reflections. Adjust the colors and irradiance settings to control the feel of your image. Basically, it's kinda like using an HDRI, but actually spending the time to think about what you're doing, and actually controlling the render. Way too many times with cars you'll see someone slap a cheap downloaded HDRI onto the render, and have some ugly in-your-face reflections. If you're going to use an HDRI, in my opinion, nobody should know