View Single Post
# 63 13-03-2006 , 06:30 AM

I Think, Maya is better Than Max for Film Making.

Hello,

As for as max is concerned, 3DS Max has its strength got Polygonal Modeling. Polygonal Modeling generates low Detailed Characters, which are more than very suitable for games as game requires low ploy (low detailed) characters. When these low detailed characters are converted into high detailed characters using Modifiers e.g. Mesh Smooth, 3D Model becomes more heavier and for me, even on my P4 with 2G Ram and NX 6600, my machine responds slow while I go to style the hair of my character.

Where as Maya is based on NURBS and has as very good support of NURBS. NURBS give a very smooth and well rounded geometry, so this technique help in generating High Detailed and well cornered models which are the basic need of films.

Particle system in Maya is also much more powerful than that of max and outputs faster and consumes less system recourses.

Similarly, Dynamics and Fluids in Maya are again more powerful. I can render a high detailed water surface on my machine within 15 seconds, where as a scene with same levels of details, takes lot more time in 3DS Max.

Again, Maya’s renderer is quicker that that of 3DS Max.

Though, Maya is tougher to use, but it is pretty powerful than max.

One more thing, It has distributions for various platforms e.g. Windows, Linux, Unix, Maq, where as Max only runs on Windows.

From stability point of view, Maya is more stable. I have never experienced Maya crashing, where as max gets crashes a lots more times due to various reasons e.g. If I am running 3DS Max and open Network Rendering Tools, my scene get heavier etc. This crash ends into corrupting the original source file, most of the times.

Best Regards,
Waheed Akhtar

Best Regards,
Waheed Akhtar