View Single Post
# 43 21-04-2006 , 06:50 PM

Originally posted by skywola
Now, suppose that you go to your doctor because you are sick, and after the usual check-in, you are brought to the examination room. When your doctor comes in, there may be the short bit of small-talk, then he asks you what it is that is wrong. So you tell him, and then, to your complete astonishment, he says "Unless you acknowledge to me, that I am a doctor, and address me as Dr. _____, I will not treat you." I think that the average person, with any common sense, would not wait around to be treated by that so-called doctor! This anology can be applied to Jesus. Why does he insist that others acknowledge his title? Would someone with a normal bearing in life, having a title, (as would a true doctor) feel a need to have their title acknowledged?

I tend to think that god is irrelevant. For me, I don't really care whether god exists or not. I see a lot of people thanking god for their good fortune as if starving babies don't believe in god and so that's why s/he/it punishes them. I'm not interested in something that needs me to believe in it so I can get into it's special little club. I think skywola does a good job of explaining this problem.

I don't see what good or evil, right or wrong has to do with god. In fact I don't believe that these ideas even exist - I think that these are just ideas that we have created.

Also, Umberto Eco writes an interesting essay in his book Five Moral Pieces on what it means to be moral or ethical when one doesn't believe in god. Definitely worth checking out.

arran3D

arran3D blog