View Single Post
# 1 30-11-2002 , 06:20 PM
Subscriber

Mecanical arm w/ rotating base

I'm trying (very hard!!) to make a mecanical arm/industrial robot-thingy with the base rotating horisontally, and the other joints rotating vertically.

I tried disabling the freedom of movement for all but the horisontal plane on joint1 only to find out that these settings seems to be inherited by all the other joints.

Then I tried using aim constraint to make the base point/rotate according to the position of a locator on the "ground" wich in turn was point-constrained to the IK handle, with the ...(cant remeber)... Y axis....? connection removed, so that it would always position itself on the "ground" below the IK handle.
This is working (semi) fine. The problem starts when I want the robot (on wich the arm is connected) to move around, and it is tilted. Then the base aim locator remains at the "ground" plane and the base is rotated in a strange way...

The real question is... Is there a way to make the base joint NOT behave like a ball-joint without screwing up the rest of the joint-chain?

-Norleif-