Thread: Graphics Card!!
View Single Post
# 6 23-09-2006 , 11:52 PM
I think people need to know the issue of reliability. Yes, r-e-l-i-a-b-i-l-i-t-y. Generally, if the performance of a workstation product and a consumer product is the same or similar, the difference is that the workstation product is more reliable and it can handle more extremes such as higher tempreture's.

And don't forget that it's made from better quality parts that will never fail or have issues. Remeber that workstation cards are designed for big studios - their computers are never turned off for weeks.

Look at Google. They save money by using P4s that have to be replaced every month. If they used something more professional, they won't have to waste money for replacements.

I've played the Sims 2 on a FireGL at my friend's place. No problems, no performance issues.

The reason why games sometimes have bad performance on games is that their drivers are updated less often than your consumer card. And when you play the latest game, they need the weekly driver to get maximum performance, last month's driver won't cut the job. Anyway, for those who don't know, a Quadro is a GeForce chip with extra features bolted on.

Further more, the performance of a card is not based on how much RAM it has, there are ten thousand things which affect perofmance, and these things arn't something you can compare from PCWeekly.

We live in a world where marketing monkeys are constantly trying to force that cheaper is better. But then why does a Ferrari always outperform your family wagon?