View Single Post
# 9 26-09-2006 , 06:59 PM
My stance on stereotyping is that it can be good in some cases, when its used in a game like Duke Nukem 3D. 3DRealms used it properly and for comedy as well as the good old '80s action movie feel, but today, its just damn stupid most of the time. It makes characters shallow, it lessens the impact of the story, it just makes you feel that it came from a factory.

Realism and reality is very different from 'average'. I certainly did not make the association before I started to reply to its usage. Many people (in reality) don't have 'average' lives, and reality certainly is not 'average' - there are flukes and stuff. I think that I've been misunderstood by some - I never said games should have average characters, I said that these days, a large portion of games stereotype - are sexist, unrealistic and that in my opinon that they would be better if they were more realistic.

Movies and some games, the difference is that movies have more artistic expression, which may require flying people and Gandalf to make that expression. However a large amount of games these days are just... stupid.