View Single Post
# 3 29-09-2006 , 08:35 AM
Subscriber
Cheers for your thought there Steve.

As a student, there is no option for upgrade, you have to buy outright again. I can only assume that I've got the same package as someone with a commercial license as when I got Maya 7 that was the case.

I obviously still have all of my Maya 7 books (well thumbed they are too) so I have some paper based documentation to assist me but as far as the new features go I'll have to be using good old F1 help menu. I think that this is most unfair for people who are buying into Maya for the first time, books are good and, aswell as being helpfull, they give a bit of weight to the package and make you feel as though you have spent your money on something quality.

An analogy could be when CD's were first introduced it never felt as though you got your moneys worth in comparison to buying a vinyl album. Size wise Vinyl was bigger, the sleeves of an LP showed off the artwork, gatefold sleeves were a bonus!!

Obviously I'm not forgetting that the money is spent on the software (or the license to use it) but with Alias there seemed to be some prid, in what they produced. Autodesk seem to have just burned a few DVD's and chucked them in a case.

Rant over, I'd still like to hear peoples thoughts.

Take it easy,

Mat.