View Single Post
# 1 06-11-2006 , 11:35 PM
Subscriber

modeling and cutting polys on the grid

hi all, i'm new to environment/prop modeling and i'm trying to get some tips on modeling polygon objects using the grid. i'm using maya 7, so hopefully someone has a solution using the tools in that version.

1. what's the best tool to use to cut poly faces using the grid? the split polygon tool and cut faces tool do not seem to snap to the grid. i know i can move the verts after but this seems like unnessessary work, when you should be able to make a new cut right on the grid. also, i'd like to make additional cuts after the object is unwrapped, so i don't want to push verts around.

2. how do i draw an edge connecting two verts that aren't on the same face but within the same object? for example make two planes, then combine them. then try and connect the vert 1 on the plane I to vert A on plane II. i can't do this cut and have the split polygon tool snap to the 2nd vert. the goal is to merge the new vert and create an object with all quads or tris.

any suggestions? maybe there's some simple setting im overlooking, but i don't normally model this way.

thanks!

Attached Images

Last edited by scoonie_p; 06-11-2006 at 11:40 PM.