View Single Post
# 2 06-12-2006 , 01:34 PM
Senior Software Developer
Welcome,

To run Maya 8, just check with the autodesk site for the specs that the software requires. People on this site run Maya on various specs of PC.

I would recommend that you use a dual core processor (I am an Intel fan, but if you are on a budget get AMD), and get a decent speed 2.8GHz or above. For RAM I would recommend 2Gb+ or DDR3. SATA drives are supposed to run at the equivelent speeds of SCSI (so they say), so it depends on where you keep your projects. I have mine on server, so, it doesnt really matter if it is SCSI, ATA or SATA (my OS boots from a SCSI Drive, the rest of my system is ATA). The only issue you would have is to choose the right graphics card. Autodesk have a list of supported cards, both NVidia and ATI. But your choice will depend on what you want to do. A new/high spec GForce style gaming card is jaut as good as a Quatro style hardware card and it so much cheaper.

Others on the site will have different views as we all like our own system set up.

Mine is:
  • Dual Intel Xeon 2.8GHz Processors
  • 2Gb DDR3 Ram
  • 40 Gb SCSI Drive
  • 40 Gb ATA Drive
  • 80 Gb ATA Drive
  • GForce 6600GT 128Mb DDR3 Graphics Card
This works fine for me, and is fast enough.

As for a capture card, anyone will capture what's on screen, but you are better off just using software capture tools, like Snap-It or Camtasia...

If money is no object get yourself to Boxxs' website and build your ultimate device (mine cost $18,000)

Enjoy ur time at SM.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)

Last edited by R@nSiD; 06-12-2006 at 01:37 PM.