View Single Post
# 6 30-05-2007 , 03:04 AM
You could try final render stage-2.

Or you could try to actually figure out how to set the 8 bazillion properties of mental ray. I would recommend first getting a 15 year phd in pan-hyper-dimensional-quantum-photonic-light-physics that could help to understand the settings (a little). lol

Sorry to be making jokes but I have recently been struggling with mental ray and man that package really drives me insane. There are no useful guides to workflow and help files in maya are useless. They read like a poorly translated japanese to english stereo manual.

I have paid for a couple of tutorials and they were not much help. The instructor seems to randomly pull values out of his butt and does nothing to explain what they do and why. As an example at one of my favorite lessons he says and I quote ...to use this option you will have to make quite large changes in the antialieas settings... and then he proceeds to change the value from 0 to 1. Hmmm his definition of "very large" and mine are quite different. It would seem to me that moving from 0 to 1 is the smallest possible unit of change you can make! To make things worse the change made the render go from 7 seconds to 45 seconds.

To me mental ray is too complicated and with no users guide that explains workflow it's almost mystical as to how it works. I have seen stuff done in vray and have fiddled with a trial version of final render and they both seem more intuitive to use.

Last edited by ctbram; 30-05-2007 at 03:07 AM.