Thread: maya 2008
View Single Post
# 7 18-08-2007 , 12:13 AM
I think that new upates are good but they shouldnt necessarily be major update versions in short timespans. Whats up with having a couple of point releases through the year (or over two years) that add in nice functionality and fix bugs but doesnt require you to fork out another upgrade cost?
Maybe its because lots of software come with fixes and updates for free as standard nowadays and we've got used to it and expect it across the board?
There's always a fine line between new features and profitability but with most major pieces of software the profitability will always be there looming in the background ready to take over when needed. I'm guessing Autodesk will want to minimise the costs of the takeover and maximise profits to show that it has been worth it to the shareholders.

Think I'll sit on the fence and think over it some more before loving or hating the update question user added image

EDIT: as another question I wonder what people think Autodesk's long term strategy is for getting students and hobbyists into 3D? With such a big catalog of software do they try and channel people certain ways so that they can sell lots of one type of software or do they leave it ambiguous so that it is up to the colleges and schools to make that decision for the students?
Just a thought

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net

Last edited by t1ck135; 18-08-2007 at 12:15 AM.