View Single Post
# 8 04-10-2007 , 10:59 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Perfecto
I'm probably not the best person to ask, but here's my opinion.

With what work I've seen you do, you have a long ways to go to get to "Top Notch" but that doesn't mean you're not ready for freelance work. I'm nowhere near "Top Notch" either but I'm ready myself. I've learned that there are different types of freelance work with varying levels of skills required. If you feel comfortable with your current knowledge of 3D, you should go for it.

Start looking for work and make sure you ask questions so you completely understand the requirements of any assignments you're offered. That way you can better determine whether or not you can complete that assignment. I think it would be better to turn down an assignment that you're not sure you can fulfill, than to not come through and risk getting a bad reputation.

Most likely, the process of doing freelance will make you push your skill level up quicker. At least in the beginning. You're ultimate goal though will be to get hired on at a company somewhere. I've been told that freelancers don't improve their 3d skills and knowledge as quickly as those who have jobs with a company.

So, in my opinion, I think you're ready for some freelance but not all freelance. As long as you EXACTLY know what each job expects, you'll probably do okay, and work your way up in the process. You just might have to be very selective at first.

P.S. Even an assignment that you can't fulfill could still be a good assignment if you are VERY confident you can find the solution to the part of the assignment you're unsure of.

Thanks perfecto. I have the same assessment of my self. I have learned a lot about maya compared to what I knew 2 years ago. Heck 2 years ago I had never opened a 3d application in my life and I didn't know anything about the tools or anything. I believe I will get to the level I want and I will start trying some simple freelancing.