View Single Post
# 36 13-10-2007 , 11:27 PM
Are you not following the tutorial for it, might be worth getting it to save you going insane

I can't afford the tutorial right now, but I doubt it would be very useful. Kurt's final model does not bevel many of the hard edges and so is a very simplified version of my model.

I am sure his tutorial uses the approach of painstakingly picking each and every face on the side of the model and then planner projecting that side and then picking each overlapping uv and pulling it in or out while trying to minimize stretching. When you have every single edge beveled this becomes ridiculously tedious and labor intensive process.

With all the beveled edges in my model sitting there and picking every face on a side by hand just takes too long and with all the extruded faces that pop in and out getting all the nested side faces is nearly impossible. I tried it and spent a day on one side and still could not pick them all. I could not even pick all the faces in a day and the next step of trying to unwrap all the resulting overlapped uvs without stretching would be 10 times as laborious.

It took me 5 hours to build this entire model. I would guess it would take me about the same amount of time to texture it. Those two processes are enjoyable.

Unwrapping uvs is nothing but pure tedium and spending many times the amount of time it takes to build and actually texture map the model just to unwrap it is very frustrating.

I know this is just the way it is and I am not asking for, nor do I really expect, a "Do these 5 steps and your done" kind of answer. I am just expressing my complete and heart felt hatred of UV unwrapping. It literally sucks the joy out of life it self!

Last edited by ctbram; 13-10-2007 at 11:56 PM.