Thread: Oil Filter
View Single Post
# 67 02-11-2007 , 11:40 AM
agreed, it could use brighter on the painted exterior after taking second look at your reference. but the metal on the interior should look not quite as sophisticated, not as polished, its just regular metal. as much as a perfect reality as it may be, auto execs might view that as something that "didn't quite meet expectations of reality"

being that I have given a fully useful critique now:

in response to Funky Bunnies' comments
@Turbo Dan: Yea, there are a lot of people with jobs in 3D however it doesn't give you some unalienable right to disregard a person's critique. You may want to actually explain why the renderers are so different. It appeared to me that you were blindly stating that the two renderers cannot be compared because the results are so different. They are based on separate lighting models, attempting to mimic reality in completely different ways. Pretty sure here that Maya's Software renderer is, in short, based on local illumination (with reverse-from-reality ray tracing) while (to my understanding) the maxwell renderer is highly based on faking real-world lighting scenarios through Global Illumination (which you must remember, is still only an approximation of the way light works in the real world). Don't just make claims and dismiss... explain yourself. The burden of proof was on you to give your 'opponent' the reasoning as to why he shouldn't claim like maxwell-like results can be achieved with SW renderer. Don't be so quick to fly off the handle or you'll never get anywhere in this industry. Funky is right in that it isn't practical but it isn't impossible either. Someone could paint that image pixel by pixel in MSpaint if they tried hard enough.

www.roryjones.net