View Single Post
# 11 08-11-2007 , 07:16 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by arran

if you have any artistic ability you get doubly screwed.

kids, if you have any inclination toward art, listen to your parents - DO NOT waste your money on an education in art where all you learn is that nobody draws anymore. get a degree in something useful...engineering, law, **** it, even a fashion degree will serve you better than an art degree.

all education should be free.

I kinda have to disagree on this one, if you are talking about fine art i.e. painting sculpture etc you might have a point as it is terribly difficult to make a living even as a successful artist, but on the other hand why would you waste a good deal of your life on a job that you really hate if everything you want to do is art. If you're not passionate about your "proper" degree you're not going to get far on that one either.

And it's a completely different thing if you go down the design way, -what I did for the past four years. I got a nice job and many people from my year as well, and I love what I do.
So what I'd tell those "kids" is that if you go for something artistic, you'll have to be dedicated, if you sit in front of your work at 1am and hate it this is not for you, if you think art degrees are partying smoking pot throwing some paint on the floor and then roll around in it, maybe stick to something else. But if you work and commit yourself it pays of.

edit:

I agree on the point that all education should be free user added image

www.animateme.me.uk