View Single Post
# 2 28-11-2007 , 08:49 AM
The different Autocad products have differing applications within design, they also offer differing price points due to the differing options avialable, which is a help for the differing size of companies and the applications they use.

Theres also the problem if they added everything what architecture would they use, node based, additive, how much would they strip away with regards to programming, custamizability etc?? Also what would they dump and keep? Its a biggie, also think of the price of such an application, its also shoe horning people into a workflow/app they might not like.

I feel a better way to go would be to keep the apps sepperate, but maybe offer a suite (as adobe) with a file extension that crosses the lot, without any problems (I know theres fbx but I think a more rounded solution could be created, especially for sculpting apps)

I personally like going form maya to say Zbrush (and now motionbuilder) as it feels like i'm using the tool for the job and not a jack of all trades (a 14mm spanners always going to be easier to use than a multi adjustable one)

Or what I feel would be benificial would be you buy the basic maya, then get bolt ons for the parts you need, Ncloth if you want, fluids, hair etc etc, instead of having a big difference beteen the 2 price points for some things that a freelancer might need say cloth and parts they might not use such as fluids.

I think that faster rendering like maxwell would probably come with streamlining the coding and with faster CPU's although as that imporves so will Mental rays render time! so for a bit I think it will be horses for courses on that one.

Good discussion, I hope it wont end up as an autodesk complaining thread.

edit - What I see is better realtime rendering for the viewports that supports raytracing etc etc, that would be a great addition.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 28-11-2007 at 08:53 AM.