Not really. Let's say there are 100 Max users and 100 Maya users, in the world:
100 x $6,000 = $600,000
100 x $4,000 = $400,000
$600,000 + $400,000 = $1,000,000

Now, if you charge $12,000:
200 x $12,000 = $2,400,000

And if you charge $6,000 (for the combined products):
200 x $6,000 = $1,200,000

Remember when people complained about the new Maya 8 interface when it came out? How many 8 (or '08) users do you see, that have used it for a while, complaining about it now?

Would they really need to throw that much stuff out? Plus, with more people working on it, would it be more than what would be added/fixed?

Well, your right about the money, but were not just talking about the reorganization of a couple of menu sets. Were talking the difference between Maya and Max.

You know as well as i that these two applications are rigged together completely different. The way in which you accomplish tasks in one is completely different to the other.

I know of plenty of people that have made the switch to one from the other, and they all say (no matter which way they go) it's like learning from scratch all over again. Of course they are familiar with the concepts, but being able to achieve them is a completely different story, and requires time and patients.

Now your telling me you could (after using Maya for years) open up Max and achieve the same results (given you had no prior encounters with this software) ???
Now you would probably say.. well no, nut give me a couple of weeks..... Could you imagine what this would do to studios that ran on Maya? Of course it would be the same if it were to go the other way, if Max user were suddenly thrust into Maya.

Though, Autodesk could try to even it out and produce a Hybrid UI. Well, that would just leave every 3D artist in carper for a couple of months.

The only cure i could see, would be a UI toggle switch. This would allow you to switch from one UI to the other. Allowing you the choice to stay with the UI your most comfortable with.

Though, these are just my thoughts, and I'm sure if it came to it i would be the first to learn the new UI... As I'm not one to be left behind.

Anyhow, this is a great topic, and it sure is nice to have a good rant.... user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 28-11-2007 at 05:20 PM.