View Single Post
# 1 07-03-2008 , 12:17 PM
Subscriber

Smoothing... help.

I realize manipulating a polygon at a lower resolution is easier and less complicated and also yields a lot less mouse clicking. But, as our creations move along is it okay to use the Smooth command to refine the image when we find it is no longer necessary to do anymore "polishing" on a particular polygonal object?

For example, I am constructing a head and while working in a lower resolution, I have been able to fashion the features until they look pretty decent using minimal adjustment. I then use the Smooth command to see how things look (a Preview of sorts) and when I am satisfied with the progress, I immediately use the Undo command to revert back to the low-rez version (just in case).

Which begs the question, if the Smooth version looks much more pleasing, what is the downside to leaving the object "smoothed", other than it would be a carpal-tunnel nightmare if one had to make further adjustments at some point in the future?

If this refined state is what we want ultimately, should I use the Smooth command, if I am satisfied I no longer have to make anymore adjustments? Is there a penalty for evoking this kind of refinement?

I ask because, when I use the Smooth command once, or even twice in a row, as the mesh becomes much more complicated, it also yields a much, much better object. Does this also have an exponential impact on the rendering process?

Also, does this yield better results, or make it any easier when working with projections in the UV Editor?

I think I know the answer to these questions, however it's a leap of faith I'm not quite prepared to make at this point. I put too much work into this current tutorial project to have to abandon it now because I became to over zealous with the Smooth command.

I have noticed that each time I use the Smooth command the mesh (patches) almost doubles in value and yet at some point I hit the threshold of diminishing returns and there is no real improvement to the object beyond the first couple of uses and all I have really accomplished is to saturate the mesh with thousands of extra patches.