Thread: Dragon Project
View Single Post
# 31 15-06-2008 , 05:37 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok first off I think you moved to texturing too quickly, i understand that being new to Maya you want to get something complete as quickly as possible but creating a complex object simply doesn't work like that even for the pro's.
You should have taken more time to get your model fleshed out which in some case requires hours of tweeking points.
In my opinion you need to redo the Uv mapping of your creature because you have a lot of texture stretching due to poorly layed out UV's or in some cases here i think not layed out at all.
Don't try to UV the creature as a whole object as it simply will not be possible with something this complex.
Except that you will have joins where textures meet so try to split your model up texturing wise so the joins will be in hidden or less obvious places.
I suggest that you UV the wings as one object, the head as another , the legs seperately and finally the body.
Tips

UV's need to be layed out flat with no overlapping in the 0 - 1 texture area of the UV editor.

Think of the object as origami paper with your edges the folds and you are trying to lay it out flat.

Cut your UV's where YOU want the texture joins and don't be afraid to cut , move and sew when needed.

hope this helps a little regards J.S.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner