Thread: Xir
View Single Post
# 12 27-01-2009 , 08:29 PM
ok, hate to be a moo, but i actually don't think that thx1138's over-paint is working at all.

to start off, it seems as though the face has been elongated - almost as if you have repainted the face from dead on. i might be wrong, but i saw it as being painted from slightly below the face (similar to munch's madonna) - hence the foreshortening in the forehead, the flat edge of the bottom eyelids and the top of the ears which are below the eyes - and which haven't been changed in thx1138's paint-over. i actually think the paint over has kind of skewered the face - the eyes look unlevel and there's a bit of a distortion leaning to the right of the image. the forehead now looks huge - again because the ears show that this is being viewed from below.

I didn't really have any problems with the placement of the nose in the original and actually read it as being that the face is turned slightly. by lightening the tones of the face it's further flattened the image and doesn't really take into account the highlights that are already in the image - so now in the paint-over her right cheek has the most light when clearly the light is coming from the other direction.

and sorry to harp on, but really a lot of the freshness and expansiveness of the brush strokes are now gone - losing a lot of the softness and immediacy in the original and removing the sense of intimacy.

wacca wacca wacca...

arran3D

arran3D blog

Last edited by arran; 28-01-2009 at 02:13 AM.