View Single Post
# 5 20-11-2009 , 02:56 PM

Originally posted by daverave
just a question, why boolean the parts together could you not merge vetices together one by one or is this slower?

The boolean operation gives you a more precise edge loop between where the two parts intersect then you can draw by eye. Look at the intersection of the two parts - some of the edges intersect in the middle of a face so there is no vert to simply merge a vert too.

Without the boolean operation you would have to use the split edge loop tool (with the split at edges only option turned off) to cut the edge loop where the two parts intersect , then delete the faces, then manually snap vertices. I use this option in cases where booleans cause problems, which works but is a slower workflow in most cases; however, I find I rarely have too because I understand how booleans work.

Booleans are useful and powerful. You just have to be smart about using them. Booleans get a bad rap because people don't really understand how to use them properly then go off ranting about them.

If the geometry is accommodating then boolean + cleanup + vert snap is a faster and more accurate work flow. However, there are cases where the other method is necessary because of the topology.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 23-11-2009 at 02:54 PM.