View Single Post
# 14 15-03-2010 , 09:38 PM
Starting to add details...

Here is the self centering spring and chain linkage for the tail wheel done.

user added imageuser added imageuser added image
user added imageuser added image

I should like to learn how to do this using in a more automatic way and for the chain and spring to behave properly with constraints and dynamics.

The spring is a helix and I used cv curves to extrude the loops at the ends. The chain is made from torus's split in have pulled apart a little and then combined and bridged.

To create the chain I just made a linear ep curve from the tailwheel bell crank through the middle of the spring to the attach points on the fuse. I then oriented the first link along the curve, shift-d duplicated, rotated ~90, translated along the curve to the end of the link and then repeated this until I had the entire chain. I just guessed on the link size and was lucky that is ended up almost exactly the correct length.

This was a bit tedious. I would like to figure a better way to create the chain.

I don't know much about dynamics so for now it is going to be just statically modeled.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675