View Single Post
# 13 27-03-2010 , 11:13 PM
The site doesn't have to be flashy but you can lay things out in a way that promotes your work much better. Granted I do this for a living so I may be apt to geek out a little more on it. Indulge me. First some links then some tips.:

Gestalt Principles of Perception
960 Grid System
Smashing Magazine

Starting with the top. The first link is part one in a series of essays on Gestalt principles in design. It's a little bit of a heavy read but it demonstrates how color, size, object placement, etc. gives specific focus and weight to certain areas of the page (screen).

The 960 grid is a hugely popular CSS framework and makes it easy for organizing your content sections. When you download the zip at the site, it comes with templates for illustrator, photoshop, etc. along with the CSS and instructions.

Smashing Magazine is a good online zine that goes over trends and best practices for everything web....do a search for some of their portfolio websites.

Ok, so about your site. Here are some general thoughts and I realize you probably just wanted to get the content up online so you can point prospective clients somewhere but I'll post them anyway:

1) Frames/Framesets = Bad!

2) Home Page - rather than go straight to the gallery, use your home page to showcase your latest work. For example, a large image of your latest work with a button leading to your gallery or a button leading to a kind of case study or walk-through of the images creation showing wires, uv layout, textures, and in-game shot. Below the image, you could have a few columns....one for latest news, contact info, networking (skype, twitter, etc.) a 'recent work column one that has a couple of small thumbs leading to those items or your gallery. The 960 grid can help determining the thumbnail size and column width.

3) Gallery - Again, lose the frameset. Present all the content up front so a user can look without scrolling. Try left-aligning the all the thumbs to one another rather than centering to the page....it will have a better rhythm. If you changed the homepage like above, then you could organize your work by game art and by books, rather than everything chronologically. Also think about giving the content some breathing space...it feels very claustrophobic....white space is good.

4) Books - You spent a lot of time writing those, right? You're proud of them right? Then why just a tiny thumbnail with a short rollover description? Feature them! Give each its own page. Do a little self-promotion.

5) Resumé should indeed be résumé and yes, always good to offer in Word (most HR I've submitted them to prefer Word) but PDF would be good also....the fonts look better.

Anyway, just some things to think about. Oh, one last thing: If you decide to use the site more as a marketing vehicle to drum up business rather than simply pointing prospective clients you've already spoken to it, it's good practice to have some kind of 'call to action' button/graphic on each page.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."