View Single Post
# 3 25-11-2010 , 01:07 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Dango77
Hi Ben,

It's looking great a base to start with, here's my thoughts on it, and some small advice I hope may help (some you'll probably know but it may help someone reading it anyway hopefully.)
The turntable of the helicopter looked cool, I really liked the render, but it could have maybe been a little slower, and only revolved once with the texture on, and once with the wireframe.
From what I've read you it can be a good idea to stick some of your best stuff at the beginning, to get an employers attention straight away, and not spend too long on each item (they can pause a video if they want to study one part of it). If they continue watching end with something amazing that they won't forget and will make them want to rewatch the whole reel over.
I love your matte paintings, excellent stuff! If you get a few more of those done you should definitely do a reel just of those, tailoring your reel for specific jobs is also a good idea. Obviously that's not always an option if your getting your first one together, but a good idea if you've been going at it a while.

All in all, it's a really good start to expand on, I hope my words help somehow, and I'll be looking forward to seeing your reel grow!

Thanks man. It occured to me that the Hind turntable might be too quick (and too dark) - I think most of the model turntables are too dark, that was a comment I usd to get on here when I was making all the guns. Also, that the other guns were onscreen too long and too slow. Thanks for the comments about the matte paintings. I do feel watching through the video that the second half is the strongest, and perhaps I should have done it the other way around, with those at the beginning and the models afterwards. It doesnt all fit together really, does it user added image
Im constantly feeling time passing (and slipping away), I just want to start getting some stuff out there. And then yes, its handy to have it all in one place because now when I start anything, I can say, is it going to be able to replace anything on that video...and then hopefully, I'll have enough work to start making dedicated reels.