View Single Post
# 1 09-05-2011 , 06:41 PM
EduSciVis-er

Commonly needed textures

Since photography is one of my interests, I've recently taken a stab at shooting textures. I know there's loads of available textures on the interwebs, and I'm not going to try making a business of it or anything, but I thought starting a library for my own use can't be a bad idea, and if I can help others in the process, so much the better. I'm sure I'll learn more about both texturing and photography in the process.

With that being said, my question is about the types of textures that you commonly find yourself looking for. Both commonly needed textures, and textures that you really have to hunt to find. This isn't a request thread (meaning I'm not going to hunt down and photograph komodo dragon skin and send you an image), but I'm curious what it is in high demand. More like a combined theoretical shopping list and a wishlist, if you will.

I'm also curious about other textural elements that are needed and how they should be presented. If you work with dirt, scratches or rust layers, what's the best way to present those so they can be easily incorporated. Same goes for things like electrical outlets? leaves? eyes? fur? rivets? moss on rocks? Are these things even needed as photographed elements?

-stwert

Website - Blog - YouTube - Vimeo - Facebook - Twitter

-->How to Effectively Ask Questions on Forums<--