View Single Post
# 25 28-08-2011 , 12:28 PM

Hey, i watched your video. What is strange to me is that its all quite high polygon. I guess thats fine if you are only modeling this.

The point of the video was the modeling technique. I made no attempt to optimize the poly count. I used the default primitives (cylinder (20) and sphere (20x20)). I could have reduced the edge counts but I was not worried about optimizing.

The point of the video was to show that instead of thinking about making a surface and then trying to drill holes in it. Start with the holes and and fill in the gaps!

So I took my time and made a video to try to help someone and what I get in return is criticism?

But then the wheel has less polys than the bolt thats holding it in.

ummm no! As I said I used the default primitives so they are both 20 sided! The point of the video was to demonstrate an alternate way to think about solving the problem of cutting holes and making circular extrusions into a surface other then using booleans. Not how to optimize poly count.

I have no problems using booleans, I use them all the time. I would go so far as to say I probably know more about using booleans and nurbs that anyone in this forum! But I do not believe, for this model, booleans are the right approach.

Also you talk about keeping things quads, but you end up with a 20 sided polygon in the middle circle bit. I don't think its a problem tho.

I have said this many times in this forum and knew someone was still going to comment on the ngons in the cylindrical caps (lol). As long as a surface is planar and will not be deformed it does not matter if it has an ngon with 20 or 2000 sides; It will render just fine!

ngons and low poly myths - YouTube

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 28-08-2011 at 07:31 PM.