Thread: Tips
View Single Post
# 4 15-09-2011 , 07:45 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah I agree with Rick.

Max seems to be much more forgiving. Ive found that with trying to do a hard surface model in Maya a bit more thought needs to go into it - separate parts etc.

I recently finished a movie as Modelling supervisor, and we had alot of hard surface stuff to do, mainly vehicles and environments, and although Ive been doing Maya a while I still had to really think about how to approach the models. I ended up modelling hard surface objects with organic techniques, because the designs were complex. Im talking futuristic with a hint of distopian thrown in, so essentially a combo of the two types, hard and organic were needed. Some of the guys on the team had max backgrounds so it was a bit of a struggle for them because they were used to max's features, one of them compared everything to max and just trashed maya (so I moved him to texturing LOL) but seriously Maya does need a boost in areas.

Looking at the video there, yeah he's using Max, but from my point of view its a dirty model, regardless of the software. Max is really used in games, and the majority of that stuff is put out as tris. The realtime engines allow for the different mesh types so its not a problem. Working in VFX is different, for the most part its got to be quads, its a clean surface so therefore renders are easier, displacements work nicely and sims are faster. Topology is easier to manage when its quad based as well.

Although maya does have the soften edge normals option, you still need a good amount of geo in there to make a hard surface model look good, otherwise you'll get a game looking model everytime, with spikey edges. Its really swings and roundabouts - on the upside, it gets easier with experience.

Although this stuff is mainly organic, its worth a visit to see the techniques used....https://gotwires.blogspot.com/

Jay