View Single Post
# 2 22-09-2011 , 09:43 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Kaiem

no answers yet??? Jeez!!

I dont think its too big a problem to be honest. Looking at the images, your IK is in the wrong place. You have it placed from the 'hip joint' to what is known as or what would be the 'hock' on this type of leg. You need to have it start at the hip and end on the ankle. You cant freeze the the transforms either on an IK handle, it just doesnt work. To control the knee you have to place either a locator or a control curve of your making at the back of the front leg (its elbow), and at the front of the knees on the back legs - our knees point forward not backward, then simply select it and the IK handle and hit pole vector, job done! Also make sure for this joint set up that you have selected the IK RPSOLVER.

As a note, you can group the knee control to itself, rename it and parent it to say the root node, this way the knee control will move along with the rest of the rig when you animate. Then is just a case for you to place a controler to move the leg around

Also I notice the leg joints are linked to a single joint coming down from the back bone, I would take them off of that single joint and create another joint per leg either side and connect them up that way, almost like a pelvis. You'll most likely have better control over the rig. Also check your joint placement as the knee joint on the front leg looks too high above 3 edge loops where the actual knee is on the model, also check the back leg too, the joints look too shallow in their placements to the mesh

Ive done a small diagram for you. Hope it helps, I think I drew the elbow pole vector ctrol at the front on the front legs - ignore that and place them behind, at essentially the IK handle 'runs' at the front of the legs from the hip to the ankle

Jay

Attached Thumbnails