View Single Post
# 1 14-11-2011 , 12:04 AM
Noober than noob

My first human character on Maya.

A character I've created, starting by following this tutorial: https://www.3dtutorialzone.com/tutorial?id=32 but then I went on my own road.
Added a few things such as nostrils, making the nose a bit smaller, making the eyelids however I could (they're not perfect though, but oh well...)
Made the ears.
Added teeth with the help of this tutorial by TheMayaTutorials: Maya Tutorial - How To Model Human Teeth - YouTube
Created the body and then smoothed it.
Made the fingernails after the whole mesh was smoothed.
Optimized Scene.
Deleted history on all objects.
No reflections in the scene.
No refractions, they are all turned off.
Made the shoes with which I've had problems making the shoe laces. Left shoelace left intended untied.

Problems:
1) I'm still pondering whether to use nCloth (it gives me a ton of problems such as not keeping the settings if I export the file to another machine, it's also lagging even if I create cache if I test just moving the character's facets to deform the clothes and record the animation) or just rigging the clothes along with the character + adding passive rigid body to one of them and active to the other.
Haven't rigged anything yet in Maya, on 3ds max it was easy though so I wonder if it will be harder in Maya.

2) Hands - may need to remove a few edges there and make the nails look shinier or something, as they barely show up in the render, yet they shine a lot in the viewport.

3) Tongue - not sure if it would be a good idea to create it as an extension from the character or to add it as a separate mesh, similar to the eyes and scalp that holds the hair.

4) Render time is between 38 and 50 seconds with Maya Software. All tests point to the fur being the culprit. Any way to speed it up?

5) Will I be able to add other meshes to the skeleton of the character (such as the eyes and scalp that has hair, teeth) so that they will move, but not deform, with the character?

6) Are the shoes too big? Should I flatten them from the sides?

Goal: It has to look somewhat cartoonish but also nearly realistic. Will be used in a 3D animation series I'm planning to make on Youtube as a hobby.

Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 14-11-2011 at 12:16 AM.