View Single Post
# 13 28-02-2012 , 03:53 PM
I have continued my research on graphics cards for a dedicated Maya computer and I have found the following to be issues...

These are the
quadros-nVidia
gtx-nVidia
firepro-ATI/AMD
radeon-ATI/AMD

quadros and firepros are certified and recommended by maya
while gtx and radeon are consumer and are for gaming which requires speed

I also have been reading the concept of purpose built computers.

Because I am a newbie, it may not be necessary for me to purchase a high end workstation to learn and develop modelling, animating and Lighting & Rendering, Dynamics & Effects, Texturing skills.

So in designing my first Maya dedicated computer I have no problems with experiencing first hand the issues I may face with a particular graphics cards...

I am not yet worried about batch rendering or animating but I am interested in covering modelling, Lighting & Rendering, Dynamics & Effects and Texturing...

I haven't decided but I have narrowed the choice of my first graphics card to the quadro fx 580 or the ati firepro v4800. Both are certified by Maya 2012 and both are inexpensive. I just want to use the computer to learn and when I feel the need to a more powerful workstation, I plan to pull the hard drive and sell the computer with the graphics card.

If anyone disputes these findings I would love to know your thoughts and why your reasoning behind your conclusions....

And if anyone agrees and wants to further elaborate that would be appreciated as well...

user added image