View Single Post
# 40 25-03-2012 , 09:17 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Ben

good question. Most of the time the guys were very cool about redoing stuff or adjusting stuff. It is par for the course generally. If the cg supervisor requested a change or whatever he'd always come to me first, then I'd relay the message across to whoever, but if they were busy then I'd do it myself or if it could wait a day or so then the guy responsible for the model could do it. I dont like taking things away from people, its not nice watching someone else redo a bit of a model you've done.

Yeah my cg supervisor was always saying 'make it look cool, follow the concept but add some cool shit to it to make it pop'. We did on several occasions. The story I told earlier about the champagne has a bit more to it than I'd written but now is a good time to tell it.

Initially the space fighter model design had been signed off by Luc Besson and was ready to do in Maya, which I did. But there were a few things in the mix:

1) Two Directors
2) One Concept Artist
3) Me sitting near the office door

Now this is the absolute truth on the whole space fighter model. It was supposed to take around two weeks, it took 6 months on and off (Bear in mind I'd started the ship in November 2010). I built the model, but every day either of the directors would pass by me and say, can you do this, can you add that...so I would do it. Then the following day they'd say no we dont want that do this, so I'd change it again, then one day the concept artist came in and says put a big F******* gun on the front like an apache gunship, so I do another version with a gun. Then I get told no, its not be signed off like this take it off, it went on for ages, back and forth. Anyway we did a version almost like the signed off one and then we all started to complain it looked wrong, because of the back and forth. So in April 2011 my VFX supervisor and CG supervisor came over and said do it similar to the original design and make it look the dogs bollox. So I spent a good week and a weekend doing just that, and what came out was one of the coolest things ever. So they presented it in dailies to the directors and they loved it. However two days later as it went to texturing one of the directors came in and asked for a change LOL. I cant remember specifics here but a it escalated and the following day a new concept design was handed over and I had a week to do a new one LMAO. Then the bottle of champagne scenario.......

The final model in the film is pretty cool, but I still prefer mine and I think a few others did too LOL. I cant say anything bad on the whole experience because I absolutely had a ball on the film and made some bloody good friends for life on it. Every single model has been thru my hands, checked and rechecked before handing over to other depts.

So there you go.

J