View Single Post
# 16 31-03-2012 , 05:57 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Agreed ctbram. I know people with a degree or two who are pulling palettes or calling for price checks on potatoes because the jobs are either gone or non-paying, meanwhile they have student loans and cost of living expenses to deal with, they've just started out and they're f*cked.

oh totally, but this isnt anything new, this is the world over completely. Thats not gonna change in our lifetime.

I recall we had a scheme here years back (I think it ended around the mid 80's) called the YTS (Youth Training Scheme) where the school leaver took an apprenticeship in his chosen field and was paid a low wage until he had fulfilled his 'time' then he or she was actually guaranteed a job after in that field, then came more money and so on.

Its not just the really good interns that can be out of work at any given time, seasoned pros in VFX, good ones at that can be sidelined just as quickly just to save money for companies. Cases of experience tell me that experienced good guys who do get the job done can actually be turfed out on the street because they cost more money, and their place is taken by two Juniors instead, twice the work half or less than half the wage, but less is the quality of work that gets shat out of the door. What happens then? The experienced guy gets a call, can you come back and clear up our problem, its such a vicious circle, f*** ups like this are common place in this industry. Its such bullshit.

You really have to make your mark in order to survive. It is hard regardless of experiences. We all get shafted sooner or later.

Whats that saying? 'Its tough getting to the top, but its even harder to stay there'

J