View Single Post
# 24 01-04-2012 , 06:19 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I have and still am considering becoming a Plasterer believe it or not....alot of money to be made as its a trade and also self employed....thats what and how the industry has made me feel over the last 3 years. The problem is I love the work that I do.

Also a quick story to show what companies are actually like. I was unemployed for a time and was looking at games companies, the downside was I had to do it through registered agencies. Anyway one particular job was for a Character Artist at Sony in London. So I spoke to the agent and he asked how much experience I had in games, I said none but I've done modelling for VFX and have alot of experience and so on building Digital Double and vehicles etc. He said it may be a problem but he'll talk to the guys at Sony anyway because of my experiences anyway and he'll get back to me. Anyway later on he called me back ans said they take me on board for 15k a year ( I can earn nearly 4 - 5times that) because I had no games exp regardless of the fact of my other experience. I of course turned it down because I would end up spending probably a 3rd of that on train fares to London. He then said that they (sony) can get a college grad for 15k no prob and teach them. I thought it was a frickin insult generally because again its quantity (cash wise) over quality...bunch of cheap skates if you ask me.....so something in the same vain for you....I think its also chances companies feel they are taking with skilled guys as they can be deemed to be set in their ways as opposed to a junior that they can mould and bend to their will

Jay