Thread: RoboCop.....
View Single Post
# 9 17-04-2012 , 08:53 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Although I'm a real film geek, I have to ask this. Why do you like it so much, this looks so dated now as its stop motion. Is it purely a nostalgia thing??? I completely respect your opinion and so on but have to ask.

Had quality like this been released now guaranteed we would trash this for bad 'CG'.

I was having a lunchtime conversation with my VFX supervisor today, we were talkng about this very thing of model making, puppets and how we 'remember' how cool stuff used to look, and came to the very conclusion that it doesnt actually when you look at it. Very few films get away with models. A film that sprang to mind was Memphis Belle when one of the planes is ripped in half...at the time we remember it as being soooo cool but when we looked at it on you tube....clearly a model. Its just not as good a you recall it. Yes we are spoilt by good CG these days but we also spoke of the original Star Wars, and I mentioned how I still compare the SFX of the last movie I saw to that set of films...in hindsight Star Wars is absolutely stunning...yeah theres a few rough edges but christ its good and you cant really deny it, even for its age. We also spoke of other blue screened optically composited films that followed Star Wars and Empire, some were out right awful, even back to the future wasnt as clean cut (despite being done at ILM) the effects clearly not up to scratch IMO. Also Superman....yew!! theres a point where he's green LOL. This brings me back to my point, the Robocop stuff looks terrible despite it being newer than Star Wars.

anyway sorry to bang on

Jay