View Single Post
# 5 02-05-2012 , 08:44 PM
Yep that is why I make these videos to show how to deal with Maya's quirky behavior with Nurb's. My background is Nurb's surfacing in the Auto and Aerospace industry so I am comfortable using them. That being said though, Maya's Nurb's tools have not really been looked at seriously since Maya first came out in 1998.

They were a watered down implementation of the nurb's tools in another alias product called studio tools. Studio Tools is now Alias from (AD) and is still one of the best nurbs surfacing apps on the market. But the maya implementation stripped so much out that it was and still is (in a word) aweful. In an attempt to simplify them so that "artists" could use them more easily they ended up making them nearly impossible to use at all, even for someone like me that has used nurbs for over 20 years! lol

So in the video I give some tips like "always rebuild your curves" and also show how to deal with problems that typically arise when rebuilding, attaching curves and extruduing surfaces. These issues may have been okay 14 years ago, but it's sad they still exist in maya today. It is my hope they will one day update the nurbs and subd tools in Maya.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 02-05-2012 at 11:04 PM.