View Single Post
# 3 11-08-2012 , 09:07 PM
Wow GecT!! This is a huge game changer!! I was first curious to see if the render view would possibly change the jagged or unsmooth lines from the preview but it didn't do anything. Now changing the visible subdivisions really has made the polygon faces the way I intended them to see in the viewport. Thanks a bunch!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Self-Reference*

When I go into render view though, it's displaying everything at level 1 or the lowest level of subdivisions for some reason. Whether I check preview level for rendering or not, it doesn't seem to matter.

NoteSmooth Mesh Preview affects only the display of the polygon mesh in the scene view. If you render the mesh while Smooth Mesh Preview is turned on the mesh will appear in its original un-smoothed state in the final image.

If you want the mesh to appear smoothed in a rendering you can convert the smooth preview to a smoothed polygon mesh using Modify > Convert > Smooth Mesh Preview to Polygons or to a subdiv proxy using Proxy > Subdiv Proxy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I just wanted one piece of that rear engine block's detailed area to be subdivided. I ended up selecting the faces for a portion of the back end and subdividing those using Convert Smooth Mesh Preview to Polygons. When I try to manually piece together the two pieces, I get this bad overlap and when I just try to combine the two, the high-res polygon piece now just seems to default to the lower-end polycount. Obviously I can subdivide the entire piece as I planned but that is a seriously high polycount for such a small portion of this jet.

Is there anyway I can combine the two objects without having both objects scale to a lower or higher polycount?