View Single Post
# 38 10-10-2012 , 12:56 AM
Technical Director
If you disregard some of the information Dom posted, he actually has some valuable insight.

Lights - judging by the two massive specular highlights I'd say you are maybe using a couple of spotlights in front there. You could look into arbitrary shadow mapping of caustics or try creating splines using omnidirectional texturing. Everything will have some kind of a bump, so probably add one, it will also break up the specularity. those reflections are like a mirror try blurring them a bit. If you want a good metal you should add an environment. Create an IBL.

Now, moving on:

As far as the texture goes though, there is a .005 fractile bump. I know its subtle, but it's there. I'm not entirely clear on the term you used there. Is there something I'm not doing other than the fractile that needs to be done? What did you mean texture mapping? Is that different from a standard bump on the UV projection?

I wouldn't rely on procedural textures, as nothing in nature has a uniformly-distributed pattern like those generated with an equation. Instead, I would try to create a bump, and spec map from your diffuse texture. You'll be amazed at how much of a difference there is.

Texture mapping is the process of mapping a texture onto an object. It's not the same thing as laying out UVs, as texture mapping is the process of applying the textures onto the object. It's also synonymous with shading, etc.

Assuming I read and understood correctly, those types of things would be done in post. Okay, so I am assuming in something like after effects. *snip* what I don't understand is how does that (post application of such effects) relate to an object or, robot, who is then eventually fully animated?

You would use render layers. Render layers allow you to apply specific shaders on objects during render time. This way, you could have a "glow" pass, where you have all the materials matte-black, no lights, and only have the regions that you wish to glow white. Then you can use this as a mask in After Effects to create the glow.

Further, and I'm really just trying to understand, why would they incorporate the option (glows, lighting effects, etc.) into Maya at all if there isn't a way or reason to use them?

It's a legacy feature. You'll find a lot of them hanging around, and in some cases, it's just fine, as it's very accessible. However, the more powerful and versatile method requires a bit more preparation.

Thanks for nothing mods.

Monitor your boards better and more efficiently.

Just so you know, we have no way to access PMs, emails, or other forms of communication between members; we can only moderate what can be seen in the public forums.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.