View Single Post
# 11 15-12-2012 , 07:29 PM
I'm an old guy and I read Superman Comics back in the 50's and had some given to me from the 40's as well.

No, I didn't save them (very few did back in those days) or else I'd be a lot richer now.

Superman has lost his way, at least with these new franchises.

Lets take a look at the original vs the thinking today.

Krypton: Was a highly advanced technological place. With monorails, sky scrapers, flying vehicles etc. Kind of like what we saw on the show Caprica. IT WAS NOT AN ICE PLANET AT ALL!

Superman the character: He was TALL, had a giant physique think Ahhhnold (Conan) at HIS BEST and then add a little more muscles and definition. Superman had serious biceps and a really defined six pack. We NEVER saw Superman with a beard. Also, as much as I liked all of the movies NONE of the actors came close to what Superman should have looked like. Back in the sixties there was an actor Steve Reeves that played Hercules. He was about the closest I've seen for the part.

Superman's Suit. This was stitched from thread of his blankets from the rocket ship by his mother. His heat vision cut the threads. These new molded almost rubberized plastic suits are, at least to me, a real departure. It's TOO Batman! The colors are too dark as well.

Superman's Fortress Of Solitude: This was a structure at the north pole or near there that was a giant building with a LOL giant KEY that looked like an arrow! It was NOT some crystal that grew (via some magical DNA growth mechanism) out of the snow that mimicked the bogus "Ice" home of the new Krypton.

Lana Lang: Was a redhead. She was his friend, they never hooked up.

Lois Lane: They didn't meet until he became a Man and started working for the Planet.

Aside from that, the movie looks cool because I LOVE SciFi and even with the great liberties taken over the years for morphing the Stan of Meel er the Man of Steel I still enjoy each and every treatment.

I, do however take exception to the original series (that we all thought was soooooo cool and great) with George Reeves. I took a look at a few episodes on Youtube about two years ago and Holy Cow! Jeepers Mr. Kent, those were some really terrible productions. Over acted, poor writing, poor execution and bad directing. No offense to George, he if I remember correctly was a good guy.

Hey the same holds true for the Man From Uncle w/Robert Vaughn. We thought those were super ... they were not. Does this mean that I think everything from the 50's was a joke. NOPE. Twentieth Century Fox released "The Day The Earth Stood Still" the year I was born. "The Thing" was another classic and five years later the classic "Forbidden Planet" was released.

I always found it somewhat incredible that Kryptonite ever made it to Earth. Superman's supposed to be from someplace far, far away... Another Galaxy? Another Star system? Even so the closest Start is 6.8 trillion miles away or about 4.something LIGHT YEARS. It is possible to believe that the science that Jorel had at his disposal could produce faster than light rocket (although, in the comics, it looked like a German V1 LOL - not hardly capable of FTL but, the fact that LOTS of the parts of the exploding Krypton made it to Earth from that far away is truly Science Fiction.

Peace.

Please take a moment of silence and prayer for all of those slain in the massacre that left 26 Children and Adults dead at Sandy Hook Elementary school in Newtown Connecticut.