View Single Post
# 7 19-12-2012 , 10:22 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
How did I miss this.

this subject rattles on and on.

I think if you are copying someones work like for like then yeah its blatant plagiarism.

With regard to copying a model but not copying edgeflow I think thats a lame excuse, why not just download the blueprints in the first place.

On the subject of downloading reference material, our boss at work doesnt like us downloading ref material off google as he claims its copyright, which it is in some respects, but we are only using those images to build a model or replicate a surface material for textures and so on, as long as the image itself isnt replicated then its not copyright...so you can see a fine line there.

Also for our latest show I sent out a link around the company of tons of NASA images because of the Space reference and vehicles etc, I was told not not to send it around because it was copyright of the images. But I did point out that NASA doesnt claim any copyright for useage of the images providing they are not replicated in any way. So it works both ways and is always worth finding out to see where you stand.

Although I still figure you need to be careful as to whether you mention the artist or not too as Bullet has said. Theres still nothing to stop the originator of the image suing your ass off regardless of a mention -Such is the world today. But I do feel it would be overlooked as long as it wasnt used for personal gain.

Jay