View Single Post
# 33 08-01-2013 , 06:08 PM
Noober than noob

Was there some kind of short file in the works? That's a monumental task especially if you're trying to get your bearing in organics. I'm on Jay's Surfing Alien tut and I've churned out about 4 lumpy headed abominations and counting lol but but I've learned a lot (like I was overthinking some aspects and panicking, thus the lumps) plus it probably doesn't help that I'm going back and forth between projects. I say start small and stick with it.

I didn't intend to study organics when I had the idea to start this project, nor to become any more awesome than (or even as awesome as) the people who have done human characters in movies such as in "How To Train Your Dragon", or "Wall-E" or the humans in "Ice Age".
Though I most likely will end up with something closer to real human characters, as I do not want to have the same style as Pixar and Blue Sky, even though I like a lot of Pixar's movies.
I'd aspire to make something closer to "Final Fantasy" style of characters, but not exactly, as that wouldn't be necessary since the series will be mostly comedy, with accent on character interaction, dialogue and scenery.
So I'd like to be somewhere in between the styles of Pixar's character style and Square Pictures' style. Not too non-human looking (except for the aliens which have big eyes and weird hairstyles but are still very human-like) but not too perfectly human-like, probably would be enough without real skin texturing even.
So that sums up the goal. But not sure of the approach in this case.

But I guess organics was important even for those that worked on the movies with less human-looking characters, right?

Last edited by SilverFeather; 08-01-2013 at 06:20 PM.