View Single Post
# 1 03-02-2013 , 07:55 PM

Random smooth flickering

am creating a close up of a star, and zoom out showing a star field.....

for these stars i use a optical FX

me is pretty pretty new to expressions

but trying to do a randow flickering on the star through the use of animated glow noise and other animated attributes on the optical fx

because the star will be like 5 minutes in vision in my scene, and many other stars will become visible, i am looking for an expression that changes (fading) the values of the atributes random over lets say 10 frames, and when possible over a random amount of frames aswell

if i use the rand(), maya recalculates a new value every frame so the flickering is way to fast.....

my goal for the stars is, to have a random value that changes gradualy over 10 frames towards the next random value...and then again over 10 frames smoothly to a new random value

in a sense making the random values flow from one, into the other........

i was playing with a linstep value

but this only fades in to 0.8

opticalFX1.glowSpread = hermite(<<0,0.1,0>>,<<0,0.8,0>>,
<<0,0,0>>, <<0,0,0>>, smoothstep(0,1,time));

if i then fill in a rand() command for the 0.1 and the 0.8 value it again changes every frame....

just saw 2 other posts on this forum about a smooth rotation of the tips of an airplane, and something about a flickering light.....

i tried combining them but my understanding of MEL is not strong enough.....

anyone any tips for me....???

thank you.....

The Universe is larger then you ever can think, But smaller then the size of your imagination.

all are welcome at www.ieoie.nl