View Single Post
# 8 13-04-2014 , 09:19 PM
Subscriber

Why r you using boolean for this in the first place. Get rid of the cube, select the faces you want for the lower jaw and detach faces.

I've tried selecting the faces I want to detach (and/or edges) and going to Detach Component. Nothing wants to detach. I've dug through about a half dozen MAYA texts, and the only reference to detaching surfaces is when it's a NURBS object and I've already gone to polys. I know I have done this in the past by accident. ("Keep Faces Together" is not selected)

NEXT DESIGN: I did see your post. At my level of familiarity with MAYA, it was a bit jargon-heavy and I passed on it assuming the Booleans could be made to work. For example, I did not know that edges could be extruded. After a bit of experimenting today, I discovered that they could. I had, at one point, selected edges that ran from the eye around the snout to the opposite eye. I then used the Scale Tool hoping to dimple them in a bit. It only puckered the whole snout area, hence, at the moment, I tend to be shy of edge-related solutions.

Why am I being warned off Booleans? What's the problem with them?

Attached Thumbnails