View Single Post
# 14 03-07-2014 , 04:12 PM
Trying
Well. It'll be a huge improvement over what you have now so I imagine that will be nice. But it still won't be perfect, it's all relative to what you're used to and what you're expecting. Just in general, laptops aren't really made for intensive rendering, regardless of just the cpu, gpu, ram, specs, etc. The physical build and cooling system can't handle high level performance without overheating if you're going to be doing like high quality HD renders. And as a laptop, a lot of parts you get won't be as great as their desktop counterparts. For example, the gpu you'd be getting is the 840M, the mobile version of the card which would perform way less than the desktop version.

Right now I'm using a laptop as well, an Inspiron 17R with 2.3GHz Intel Core i7-3610QM, 8 GB of RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 650M. And the main problem is the overheating, which slows down the computer a lot.

The one you listed has decent specs for a laptop, but there doesn't seem to be too any reviews around on it. I think it'd be good to keep researching other models and brands too, read reviews on them to make sure they're good (it's not just paper specs that matter, find actual performance tests). And you can save money by just picking features that you need specifically; for example, I don't think touch screen is necessary, moreso just a cool add-on to have that will cost more.

To answer your question though ha, I think a cooling pad would be helpful as well but you can buy that later, after you test out your laptop more.