View Single Post
# 2 21-03-2016 , 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Well you can look at it another way. The degree won't save a weak demo reel and and lack of one won't take a strong reel out of consideration. Lots of tuts around on the basics to advanced approaches and as you mentioned, some even offer courses to create a full guided path. It can be done and has been done. She's going to have to invest considerable experimentation, practice and accept critique to push beyond the "how to" level of polish (I think that Maya help files are actually pretty good and can help fill in the gaps like with tangents for example). This still applies even to college courses or risk having a weak demo reel that gets passed over. I think Gnomon has some animation material. Lynda should as well. There are free rigs around (the Andy rig is popular). And check out the 11second club, they're a site with focus on character animation, there are workshops and regular challenges, a lot of great stuff there.

I've heard good things about Animation Mentor so she could check that out if she hasn't already. I remember around ten years ago there all these online animation schools popping up. Some were kinda sketchy. Using random artists' work unbeknownst to them, no credit, nothing. Ah memories.

- Genny