View Single Post
# 1 28-09-2016 , 05:00 PM

Baking normals from High-poly without seams in LP edges

Hey, so im baking normal maps for a game in school, and I realised something, when i bake from a low-poly box (for example) all the edges except for the cutted edges will have a black seam. I knew this is a problem with baking normals, but i found a way to solve this, i thought. I started writing it down just to remember the process. I knew substance painter had a "reproject texture to diffrent UV-layout"-type of thing. Thats why I thought this would work.

Anyways here's what i wrote:

1. quad lowpoly
2. pick hard edges
3. save quick selection
4. duplicate the mesh

on the duplicated mesh:
1. cut uv's from the quick seleciton set
2. in uv editor, click layout
3. duplicate, choose the quick selection set edges and bevel them
4.1 optional: smooth the beveled mesh
4. duplicate and create cage mesh
5. bake in xnormals

in substance:
1. open scene, import mesh with the UV's you want to use (the unbaked model), import the normal map too
2. reproject from one model to another <---- I THOUGHT

step 2 didnt work, so this is where im stuck. Im looking at one model with perfect normals but horrible UV-layout, and im also looking at a perfect UV-layout but with a horrible normal map (dark along the hard edges)

So. I guess my question is if anyone knows how to transfer a map like this, is it even possible? or is there a way around this, like the one i thought i found, that is more useful or whatever. I kinda just want nice normals.

Thanks!

-
Skalman

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^