Thread: *WAR*
View Single Post
# 133 26-03-2003 , 02:57 PM
Subscriber
Undseth by apolitical I mean non-political, without politics. And when i refer to things we hold dear i mean our families, friends, passions in life. What meaning would they have if we were not allowed to express our feelings to their full extent. Im not only talking about a totalitarian suppression but also a political suppression.

As for what u say, I do not and never will hold the worth of human life below anything else. I have also never suggested that I dont respect other's opinions. Quite the opposite. If u read all I have said before in this thread u would see that.

Yes war is an aberration, but u have to ask urself whether it would be better to stick with what u have rather than strive for something better. And u say there are alternatives. Please enlighten me. We are talking about a man here who cares not for diplomacy. We are talking about a man who cares not for human decency. Indeed, this man is someone who doesnt hold human life to its true worth. In reality there is nothing acceptable about war, but it is the way of the world that u have to balance out what is the more acceptable - in this case desposing of Saddam through military action or letting Saddam continue to act on his own free will.

I doubt anyone accepts the cost of war, but I do think people understand that sometimes it is a necessary price to pay.

The "simple binary feelings" u refer to I agree are wrong but it is to my mind that these perhaps are down to naivety and ignorance more than anything else.

Your claim that "the USA have chosen to go to war, based on claims of self-defence" is not strictly true. As far as I have seen it from both Blair and Bush, another motive is to keep in order a secure global structure. For sure its intent is to benefit us all. The instability in the middle east is frightening. To my mind the Palestinian question needs to be resolved upmost in order to make a great step forward. Here is where diplomacy works. When there is a mutual acceptance for the diplomatic resolution, then it will work.

You say "Any left-wing protesters refusing to support war on any terms, should be respected for their views." Granted. But then so should all views be respected in the same way. In an earlier thread u called Darkon and Mike Mckinley morons for their opinions. You cannot contradict urself in that manner. You said urself "people are free to make up their own minds."

Make no mistake. The day war is consigned to history, I will be rejoicing as much as u undseth