View Single Post
# 35 24-06-2003 , 03:39 PM
Well, I don't think so. Expect Shake, Final Cut Pro, maybe even DVD Studio Pro to be 64 bit soon. As for everyone else, I agree, it will be years before 64 bit software becomes standard. Sadly, that will be because of the Windows boxes only being 32 bit. I only expect 64 bit software to start shipping when 64 bit computer become more standard. That is unless Adobe, Quark, Alias|Wavefront, etc... will step up to the plate do it now rather than later. We'll have to see though. We'll have to see.

One thing to note though, is the G5 is much faster than the G4 is at 32 bit code instructions too. Here is a test from Alias|Wavefront using a PPC 970 1.4 Ghz mono (as in single processor) against a DP 1.42 Ghz G4.

This is from an initial benchmark of a PPC970 1.4

"Alias|Wavefront Maya Render : PPC 970 mono 1.4 is 254% faster than a
Dual 1.42 GHz"

I'd take this with a grain of salt, at least until I can get the person who quoted that to post a link. IMO, this sounds a bit strange, but I've seen stranger things. LOL

Being that Apple isn't even using the PPC 970 at 1.4 Ghz speeds, I'm assuming the 2 X 2.0 Ghz G5 will be significantly faster. But I'll leave that up to others to clarify since I won't be getting any new computer for about a year or more. user added image

My Website