Thread: Andrea Gail
View Single Post
# 115 16-07-2003 , 04:59 PM

Originally posted by ereitz
Wow! Nice stuff - love the shot from the wheel house.

My only question - and it is just a question because I don't really know but it seems like to compensate for the water going over the boat you made it float higher out of the water - am I right?

Thanks again, ereiz! You're not exactly right. I attached an uniform field to the boat which pushes the water down and to the sides as it moves. Gotta fine tune the keying of the magnitude though...

I understand the difficulties involved with making water pour over the back of the boat but that's something that would happen in heavy seas. Maybe if you used a lot of blur and spray it would look realistic and not like it was penetrating the hull.

Yup, sprays, fog, mist and whatnot is coming later. Hopefully they will draw attention so that the viewer can't see all the little errors that reveals this being a fake. user added image

You have a fine animation going here. Going to be a killer reel if that's what you're working on. Are you using the Perfect Storm tutorial from Secrets of the Pros?

Yeah, the chapter on the Secrets of the Pros book inspired me for doing this originally. But as it is not an actual tutorial I've had to figure out most of the stuff by myself. Great way to learn imho...

Dynamics are scary!

Nah, they are very rewarding if you can get them to behave user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!