View Single Post
# 15 29-07-2003 , 09:34 AM
Subscriber
thanks pure morning.

but now i am really confused. i might not have the wordings exactly as pure morning, but basically i said the same (yes maybe a bit shortcutted). i was not rude in my replys - at least i did not try to be rude. and now that is enough of my rant here user added image let me justify it a bit better before going back to "eating newbies for breakfast":

vladimirjp, you say you just upgraded to unlimited. that is really ok. and it means that you had complete (or PLE) before - and i expect (maybe that is my big mistake) that if you upgrade to unlimited, that you are comfortable with the way maya handles things as you had complete features before.

now fur is something differant then anything else in maya, but not really. yes fur has a lot of advanced features. unlike cloth you dont have to master ALL of the attributes of fur. you just click fur and it looks relatively good. if you want it to look differant, and you e.g. paint the baldness, the fur will look better (if you done it right user added image). and on the way to master all of furs possibiblites (i am far from that yet myself), you will get better and better looking fur. i played with fur before i could model - it is quite some fun goofing around with only a fur sphere user added image but after a while i noticed, that it is better to read the documentation and learn the basics of maya first.

now please imagine cloth for a second. i bet you played a bit with cloth already? cloth is a real newbie killer. you cannot just click "cloth" and you have something that looks good which you only have to tweak to make it suit your needs. even to understand what you need to do e.g. create the panels, make garments, sew them together, apply constraints, set up cloth colission objects, and change many settings (the default is not usefull - at least not for anything i tried so far). even to have simple results cloth forces you to have fairly good understanding of nurbs, polygons, and animation.

fur is simply a very clever texturing method, cloth is something of its own in my opinion at least.