Thread: the new dragon
View Single Post
# 72 15-09-2003 , 04:18 AM
Location: lost... and I'm NOT asking directions!! (psst... could you tell me where I am?)
It looks like if I want to match that on texturing, then I've got my work cut out for me. Texturing takes me a long time user added image

Okay, I have my dragon mostly modeled. There are some very obvious problems with it, though. Feel free to point these problems out, but know that I am aware of them. (the hands, and yes those are hands, need work for example)

This is the general look I wanted. Well, sort of. I wanted him to appear playful. A friend saw this and said it reminded him of "Spyro." Well, I never had Spyro in mind but at least I knew I was on the right track.

The reason for this is because I have an animation in mind that would really only work with a playful dragon anyway. Not too playful, it is supposed to be an adult, but playful nonetheless.

Things I'm thinking about changing:

1. The hind feet need some work. I was never really sure how I wanted the back feet to look, so I just went for the dinosaur feet. (The front feet are supposed to look like hands and will be used as such in the animation)

2. The hands don't quite look proportionally correct. I sort of used my own hands as a reference, but they don't quite look right. Larger perhaps?

3. The hind quarters has had almost no attention. Notice this is a front view, he doesn't look this pretty from the back. Don't expect sexual equipment, though, but it does need to look anatomically correct.

4. This is instanced halves, so that seam won't be there when I merge the two halves together. I have not done this yet, so at least for now the seam will remain. (I was going to do a spine there, but the poly count was getting high... I may still do a spine via bump mapping, but we'll see.)

Okay, I would love to hear some suggestions on the problems I listed above, and if you see one I didn't mention, then please point it out so I can fix it. I want to get any problems worked out before I move on to step 3: texturing. (step 1 was concept, 2 was modeling)

Also, anything I should change? Remember the type of dragon this is supposed to be. Also of note, he will talk. (very little, but he will) but mostly his emotion will be shown through facial expressions. That said, How can I improve this model?

Sorry about the long post. Here is the image:

Attached Thumbnails

Me and THIS army!